Thursday, March 8, 2007

October 17, 2006

First I want to start out with what has been on my mind since I started my new job: I think I am too polite.

I feel like people see me as this goody two shoes, who is incredibly preppy because I am polite and showed up to work in "business casual" attire for the first week. But when I don't know people I am beyond polite because that is what I was taught to do as a little girl. Or, what I just felt was right.

Would my boss like me more or less if I stopped saying thank you as frequently as I do? I don't know. At this place, it seems as if at times I seem too preppy, when in fact I am not very preppy, at all. But I dont want to appear exactly as I am as soon as I start off.

Do I want to tell them that although I love the new job, I also would like to take breaks checking my e-mail? I don't think that would go over well. But as all my friends know, I have not been one to e-mail these past 2 weeks, so even there I am not my normal self. I think at this new job though that I will be too busy to e-mail, even if I wanted to. I dont mind it, it is just how it is.

So other things that need to be talked about. I have been planning on taking a week off to go to Brazil in January for awhile. With my old job they knew about this and it would have been fine. But with this new job I will only have earned maybe 3 days of vacation by then. I could take sick days or just unpaid days. But to ask for these days off is causing me a lot of stress. It is only my 2nd week there. I need to ask soon because plans are being confirmed soon. But holy moly, asking for a week off just when I started. Geesh. But it isn't like I am going to iowa or something like that. I am going to BRAZIL for FREE. How could anyone in their right mind pass that up?

Also, I dont even know who I ask about this. My boss? HR? I have never worked for a commpany this big where vacation benefits were an option for me. Hmm.

If anyone has advice, please do tell. I am lost.

I want to say, "I was just told about a wedding for someone in my family that will be in Brazil. I can get a free ticket there, but my only problem is that I would need to take a week off. Do you think we can work something out? This is a pretty rare opportunity!"

My boss seems pretty cool, but I dont know how happy she will be with me, being there for 2 weeks or so, asking for a week off already.

For this, college was a lot easier. Or rather, having a job that wasn't full-time was much easier when it came to taking days off. Boo.

Okay, I keep going on and on.

By the way, I started 24 hour fitness yesterday. When I signed up I got this douche bag guy trying to tell me about the gym and how I need to plan on losing weight, and how he wants to do me (with his eyes) all at the same time.

Also, they ask you really personal questions. Such as, how much do you weigh? Do you want to take a body/fat percentage test? How active are you? How many calories do you consume everyday? What machines will you be working out on? What time will you be here? Can I demoralize you for gaining so much weight within the past few years? Do you ever think you will get back to the weight you were in HIGH SCHOOL? Do you want to lose 15 lbs and be under weight? Basically, it was awful.

But... I did sing up and I have started to work out. I went swimming yesterday for 40 minutes and today for 45. I am beyond sore and beyond tired. I need to go to bed now to get 7 hours of sleep, but I wanted to write this so I can feel better for at least writing down the crazy thoughts in my head.

No comments: